Friday, June 14, 2013

Winds of Change

                The Indian summer is almost through. I stand by the window gazing sheepishly at the sun-burnt yellow sky, a cup of coffee in one hand and Dan Brown’s ‘Inferno’ in the other. Twilight threatens to obliterate the last of the sun’s specks of light and somewhere on the horizon stars illuminate the tranquil skyline like miniscule shards of light. Progressive rock blares from the speakers, a new find of mine to keep me company during the lonely summer days. Responsibilities have been taken care of; there are no assignments to be completed or quizzes to be prepared for, there is neither a modicum of fatigue nor a trace of worrisome thoughts. My mind is a void. I feel unusually empty; normally there’s a train of thoughts running in my mind- fiction novels, movies, theoretical physics- it encompasses a wide variety of topics ranging from the most mundane to serious career-influencing decisions. Today begs to differ. For winds of change have blown away the morning mist of childhood and the dust cloud of adolescence; teenage is in extremis, waiting to be enveloped by a blanket of dreams and the shining beacon of adulthood.
                Homecoming has been bittersweet. Though my family dotes on me and even as I enjoy the warmth of my home, I miss my life at the not-so-distant Powai- dolce vita in the truest sense of the word. Bidding adieu to home was not too arduous a task. Joie de vivre of hostel life more than compensated for the distance from my family. Like-minded friends, opulence of learning opportunities and the mixed bag of freedom and assiduousness maintain a firm vice-like grip on me. It has been a whirlwind year- gargantuan changes, new people and most importantly a fresh start.


                So, where do we go now? An important thing I have noticed so far is that old bonds are slackening. Mind you, this does not even slightly mean that I am forgetting the debts of gratitude I owe to scores of people, mainly my family who have chiselled me from a greenhorn to a near-mature adult. It’s just that the cocoon of comfort and convention is slowly starting to give away. Until recently, parents have played a formidable role in shaping our lives. Now, we are more or less on our own. Somewhere, the family thread is being pulled taut. Carte blanche rests with us; our efforts henceforth will determine if we build castles on this foundation stone or dig graves for ourselves in its place. So, shrug off the cobwebs of pessimism and wake up to a new life of liberty and ambitions. Seize the day, for the deeds of the present are the architect of your future. Stand by your choices and glean the fruits of perseverance and conviction. Let’s raise a toast to the future that beckons!



No comments: